As we promised previously, we will be keeping you up to date with developments in the General Assembly.
A. On Tuesday, February 24, 2015, the General Assembly’s Labor and Public Employees Committee will conduct an “off site” public hearing on: a) 26 different proposed bills that would modify the “prevailing wage” statute that applies to municipal construction projects, b ) 25 different proposed bills that address various unemployment compensation issues, and c) Proposed H.B. No. 6246, “AN ACT CONCERNING LABOR AGREEMENTS AND THE GOVERNING BODIES OF MUNICIPALITIES,” which would require a public hearing before a municipal legislative body votes on a project labor agreement.
This off-site hearing will take place at 6:00 P.M. at Middletown City Hall.The full agenda of the hearing is as follows http://www.cga.ct.gov/2015/labdata/pha/2015PHA00224-R001800LAB-PHA.htm
B. On Thursday, February 26, 2015, the Labor and Public Employees Committee will then conduct apublic hearing on the following proposed bills:
1. S.B. No. 439 (COMM) AN ACT CONCERNING HAZARDOUS DUTY RETIREMENT FOR CERTAIN EMPLOYEES AT THE DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION. (LAB)
2. S.B. No. 908 (RAISED) AN ACT ALLOWING EMPLOYERS TO PAY WAGES USING PAYROLL CARDS. (LAB)
3. S.B. No. 909 (RAISED) AN ACT CONCERNING MANAGERS IN STATE SERVICE. (LAB)
4. S.B. No. 910 (RAISED) AN ACT CONCERNING THE INCLUSION OF THE HISTORY OF THE WORKER IN THE PUBLIC SCHOOL CURRICULUM. (LAB)
5. S.B. No. 911 (RAISED) AN ACT CONCERNING CIVIL ACTIONS TO COLLECT PAST DUE PAYMENTS TO EMPLOYEE WELFARE FUNDS. (LAB)
6. S.B. No. 912 (RAISED) AN ACT INCREASING THE CIVIL PENALTY FOR VIOLATING A STOP WORK ORDER. (LAB)
7. S.B. No. 913 (RAISED) AN ACT CONCERNING HEALTH CARE DATA REPORTING. (LAB)
8. H.B. No. 6705 (RAISED) AN ACT REQUIRING THE PREVAILING WAGE BE PAID ON CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS THAT RECEIVE FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE FROM THE STATE OR ANY AGENCY OF THE STATE. (LAB)
9. H.B. No. 6706 (RAISED) AN ACT CONCERNING THE FILING FEE AT THE STATE BOARD OF MEDIATION AND ARBITRATION. (LAB)
10. H.B. No. 6707 (RAISED) AN ACT CONCERNING THE LOSS OF AN OPERATOR LICENSE DUE TO A DRUG OR ALCOHOL TESTING PROGRAM AND UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS. (LAB)
11. H.B. No. 6783 (RAISED) AN ACT CONCERNING A STUDY OF THE UNIONIZATION OF COLLEGE ATHLETES. (LAB)
12. H.B. No. 6785 (RAISED) AN ACT CONCERNING COOPERATIVE HEALTH CARE ARRANGEMENTS. (LAB)
13. H.B. No. 6787 (RAISED) AN ACT CONCERNING THE EXAMINATION PROCESS FOR CERTAIN CLASSES OF POSITIONS IN THE CLASSIFIED SERVICE. (LAB)
14. H.B. No. 6788 (RAISED) AN ACT CONCERNING WORKFORCE INVESTMENT BOARDS. (LAB)
15. H.B. No. 6789 (RAISED) AN ACT CONCERNING EMPLOYER INQUIRIES ABOUT AN EMPLOYEE’S OR PROSPECTIVE EMPLOYEE’S CREDIT HISTORY. (LAB)
16. H.B. No. 6790 (RAISED) AN ACT REQUIRING THE OFFICE OF THE COMPTROLLER TO ISSUE AN ANNUAL STATEMENT ON STATE EMPLOYEE BENEFITS. (LAB)
17. H.B. No. 6792 (RAISED) AN ACT CONCERNING VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENTS AND AMBULANCE COMPANIES AND THE DEFINITION OF EMPLOYER UNDER THE CONNECTICUT OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH ACT. (LAB)
18. H.B. No. 6793 (RAISED) AN ACT CONCERNING THE WILFUL FAILURE OF AN EMPLOYER TO DECLARE THE PAYMENT OF WAGES ON PAYROLL RECORDS FOR UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION PURPOSES. (LAB)
The hearing on these proposed bills will take place at 12:00 P.M. in Room 1B of the Legislative Office Building.
PLEASE NOTE: The fact that a public hearing has been scheduled on these bills is not necessarily an indication that the Committee will pass these bills, but it is at least an indication that such bills are under serious consideration. Should these bills advance toward a vote by the Committee, we will provide more detail as to their contents.
As we indicated previously, the 2015 session of the Connecticut General Assembly is scheduled to adjourn on June 3, 2015. The deadline for the Labor and Public Employees Committee to approve and “forward” bills out of Committee is March 17, 2015. Bills affecting labor and employment issues may also emerge from other committees (such as the Judiciary Committee). Stay tuned.